- Alcohol Activities & Services
This section is where you can find out about HPA's alcohol-related work and how to contact us.
Further information about HPA and its wider work on other topics can be found on our main website – www.hpa.org.nz
- Campaigns & communication work
- Community Action
- Policy advice and research
- Support for alcohol legislation requirements
- Support for low-risk drinking environments
- Support for health sector action
- Contact Us
- Alcohol & You
Want to know if your drinking is okay? Or are you considering making some changes to your drinking but want to know more? Do you know exactly how big a standard drink is?
Play the online games in the section to find out. Find out all about your relationship with alcohol here...
- Is your drinking okay?
- How much are you drinking?
- What's in a standard drink?
- Low-risk alcohol drinking advice
- Easing up on the drink
- How to be safer
- Alcohol & your kids
- Body effects tool
- Alcohol - the body and health effects
- How to access treatment
- The law and you
- Drinking and driving
- Legislation & Policy
Check out this section for NZ legislation and local strategies and polices relating to alcohol.
- Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012
- Regulatory Agencies website - collaboraction.org.nz
- Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority decisions
- Advertising alcohol
- Signage and resources for vendors
- Host responsibility
- Alcohol bans
- Alcoholism & Drug Addiction Act
- Research & Resources
This is the research and resources section. This is where you can find alcohol statistics and researched topics.
HPA has a research blog. Take a look at some of the interesting conversations that are happening here.
- Latest Resources
- AlcoholNZ magazine
- AlcoholNZ subscription
- Ease up monthly e-newsletter
- Email group
- Library catalogue
- Research publications
- NZ statistics
- SAY NOW guidelines and toolbox
How to be safer
Practical steps you can take when you, your family or friends are drinking.
Throwing a party?
Click here for tips on hosting parties, and your responsibilities when serving alcohol.
While some parties can be spontaneous affairs, more often than not, you have some time to plan things. If you're planning to have alcohol at the party here are some tips to make sure things don't get out of hand. All of your guests can have a great time.
Thinking of making some changes?
Like a drink?
- Do you find it difficult to stop once you start?
- Bad shit often happen when you drink?
- Ever come round in A&E?
- Drinking got you in trouble with the law?
- Suffer monster hangovers?
- Drinking causing trouble with whānau?
- Drinking getting in the way of work?
- Never seem to have any money?
- Do you want to change your drinking habits?
If you can answer yes to any of these questions you probably have a problem with your drinking.
Like a drink? has been produced for people who have experienced some issues with their drinking and are thinking about making some changes.ShareThis