- Alcohol Activities & Services
The Activities & Services section of the website has information about what the HPA is up to.
This is where you can find out what we are working on and how we achieve our goals.
- Campaigns & Communication Work
- Community Action
- Support for Requirements of Sale and Supply
- Policy Advice & Research
- Support for Health Sector Action
- Want to use Standard Drinks Icons or SAY Now toolkit?
- Contact Us
- Alcohol & You
Want to know if your drinking is okay? Or are you considering making some changes to your drinking but want to know more? Do you know exactly how big a standard drink is?
Play the online games in the section to find out. Find out all about your relationship with alcohol here...
- Is Your Drinking Okay?
- How much are you drinking tonight?
- What's in a Standard Drink?
- Low-Risk Alcohol Drinking Advice
- Easing up on the drink
- How to Be Safer
- Alcohol and Your Kids
- Body Effects Tool
- Alcohol - the Body & Health Effects
- How to Access Treatment
- The Law & You
- Drinking & Driving
- Legislation & Policy
Check out this section for NZ legislation and local strategies and polices relating to alcohol.
- Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012
- Sale of Liquor Act
- Planning & Resource Management Act
- Alcoholism & Drug Addiction Act
- Alcohol Bans
- Alcohol Strategies & Policies
- Liquor Licences
- Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority Decisions
- Advertising Alcohol
- Signage Resources for Vendors
- Host Responsibility
- Research & Resources
This is the research and resources section. This is where you can find alcohol statistics and researched topics.
HPA has a research blog. Take a look at some of the interesting conversations that are happening here.
- Latest Resources
- Online Resources
- PDFs of Alcohol Resources
- Order Publications, Resources & Signs
- SAY NOW Guidelines and Toolbox
- AlcoholNZ Magazine
- Monthly e-Newsletter
- Library Catalogue
- Research Publications
- Research Blog
- NZ Statistics
What you can do
If you are under 18 and are with your parent or legal guardian you can:
- drink responsibly in a private home or at a private function like a family BBQ or 21st
- go into supervised area of bars and pubs (that's most bars - but to be sure - check the licence)
What you can’t do
If you are under 18 and without your parent or guardian you can't:
- drink in a public place
- go into pubs and bar
- buy booze or get an adult18 years and over to buy you booze
- carry a fake ID or use someone else's.
A person who is under 18 can only be supplied with alcohol by their parent or legal guardian. Laws are being toughened up for underage drinkers and those who sell or supply them alcohol. Penalties for breaking the law have increased.
Legal guardian as defined by the Guardianship Act does not include other family members like grandparents, uncles and aunties or older brothers, sisters, spouses or partners. Neither does it include sports coaches or anyone else temporarily acting in the place of a parent.
See the frequently asked questions section for additional information.ShareThis