- Alcohol Activities & Services
This section is where you can find out about HPA's alcohol-related work and how to contact us.
Further information about HPA and its wider work on other topics can be found on our main website – www.hpa.org.nz
- Campaigns & communication work
- Community Action
- Policy advice and research
- Support for alcohol legislation requirements
- Support for low-risk drinking environments
- Support for health sector action
- Contact Us
- Alcohol & You
Want to know if your drinking is okay? Or are you considering making some changes to your drinking but want to know more? Do you know exactly how big a standard drink is?
Play the online games in the section to find out. Find out all about your relationship with alcohol here...
- Is your drinking okay?
- How much are you drinking?
- What's in a standard drink?
- Low-risk alcohol drinking advice
- Easing up on the drink
- How to be safer
- Alcohol & your kids
- Body effects tool
- Alcohol - the body and health effects
- How to access treatment
- The law and you
- Drinking and driving
- Legislation & Policy
Check out this section for NZ legislation and local strategies and polices relating to alcohol.
- Regulatory Agencies website - collaboraction.org.nz
- Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012
- Alcoholism & Drug Addiction Act
- Alcohol strategies and policies
- Liquor licences
- Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority decisions
- Advertising alcohol
- Signage and resources for vendors
- Host responsibility
- Research & Resources
This is the research and resources section. This is where you can find alcohol statistics and researched topics.
HPA has a research blog. Take a look at some of the interesting conversations that are happening here.
- Latest Resources
- SAY NOW guidelines and toolbox
- AlcoholNZ magazine
- Ease up monthly e-newsletter
- Library catalogue
- Research publications
- NZ statistics
- Useful websites
Guide to standard drinks
If you drink a 330ml can of beer or a 100ml glass of table wine or a 30ml glass of straight spirits, you are drinking approximately 10 grams of alcohol, depending on the alcohol percentage. 10 grams of alcohol equals one standard drinkA drink containing 10 grams of alcohol..
To drink responsibly, you need to know just how much alcohol is in a drink.
All alcohol packaging and containers now have to state the number of standard drinks they contains.
To find out more about how much you are drinking, use the interactive tool to quickly find out how much alcohol is in that drink.
Download our Straight Up Guide to Standard Drinks.
Click here to download our Standard Drinks Measure Chart (pdf 188KB)ShareThis