Do I need a liquor licence to sell liqueur chocolates? What happens if I want to import or manufacture them?

A maker or importer of products containing alcohol is not required to have a licence but, if they contain 1.15% or more ethanol by weight, a licence is required for their retail sale.

We suggest that any queries about the importing of products containing alcohol be directed to the New Zealand Customs Service. Telephone 0800 428 786 or contact the local customs port in the area where the importer is located.

Local manufacturers can contact Customs or discuss issues with Excise Licensing Officers in their region. The New Zealand Customs Service website has information with reference to alcohol. Under the heading ‘manufacturers’, there is information about excise duty, duty free and licensing. This is where all relevant information is held about alcohol.