- Alcohol Activities & Services
This section is where you can find out about HPA's alcohol-related work and how to contact us.
Further information about HPA and its wider work on other topics can be found on our main website – www.hpa.org.nz
- Campaigns & communication work
- Community Action
- Policy advice and research
- Support for alcohol legislation requirements
- Support for low-risk drinking environments
- Support for health sector action
- Contact Us
- Alcohol & You
Want to know if your drinking is okay? Or are you considering making some changes to your drinking but want to know more? Do you know exactly how big a standard drink is?
Play the online games in the section to find out. Find out all about your relationship with alcohol here...
- Is your drinking okay?
- How much are you drinking?
- What's in a standard drink?
- Low-risk alcohol drinking advice
- Easing up on the drink
- How to be safer
- Alcohol & your kids
- Body effects tool
- Alcohol - the body and health effects
- How to access treatment
- The law and you
- Drinking and driving
- Legislation & Policy
Check out this section for NZ legislation and local strategies and polices relating to alcohol.
- Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012
- Regulatory agencies website - collaboraction.org.nz
- Alcohol Regulatory and Licensing Authority decisions
- Advertising alcohol
- Signage and resources for vendors
- Host responsibility
- Alcohol bans
- Alcoholism & Drug Addiction Act
- Research & Resources
This is the research and resources section. This is where you can find alcohol statistics and researched topics.
HPA has a research blog. Take a look at some of the interesting conversations that are happening here.
- Latest Resources
- AlcoholNZ magazine
- AlcoholNZ subscription
- Ease up monthly e-newsletter
- Email group
- Library catalogue
- Research publications
- NZ statistics
- SAY NOW guidelines and toolbox
Do I need a liquor licence to sell liqueur chocolates? What happens if I want to import or manufacture them?
A maker or importer of products containing alcohol is not required to have a licence but, if they contain 1.15% or more ethanol by weight, a licence is required for their retail sale.
We suggest that any queries about the importing of products containing alcohol be directed to the New Zealand Customs Service. Telephone 0800 428 786 or contact the local customs port in the area where the importer is located.
Local manufacturers can contact Customs or discuss issues with Excise Licensing Officers in their region. The New Zealand Customs Service website has information with reference to alcohol. Under the heading ‘manufacturers’, there is information about excise duty, duty free and licensing. This is where all relevant information is held about alcohol.