Manager's certification

All new manager's certificate applicants and those renewing their manager's certificates are required by law to hold the nationally recognised qualification or to have completed the prescribed course of training as required by the regulations.

About the Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ)

This qualification has been developed to standardise and improve the overall quality and skills of managers working in licensed premises. The LCQ can be applied for by anyone who has completed the two unit standards.

The LCQ applies to all managers.

You will need it before your application for a general manager's certificate will be considered by a District Licensing Committee.

How to gain the qualification

To gain your Licence Controller Qualification you will need to undertake the Unit Standard process and gain the unit standards required.

A manager applying for renewal of their certification will not be granted it unless they hold the LCQ. No new certificates will be issued without the applicant holding the LCQ.

The unit standard process

If you are a candidate for a general manager's certificate, then you must use this process to pass both unit standards to gain your qualification.

Both unit standards can be gained either from an NZQA accredited training provider, or from a Service IQ registered assessor, if you work in a Service IQ registered workplace.

The qualification itself is made up of two unit standards. These require you to:

  • demonstrate knowledge of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 and implications for licensed premises (US4646)

  • demonstrate knowledge of Host Responsibility requirements as a duty manager of licensed premises (US16705).

Once you have the unit standards, you will be issued with your Licence Controller Qualification. You then apply for the manager's certificate at your local District Licensing Committee (DLC). Application forms are available from DLCs around the country.