Alcohol and crime
- At least a third of all police recorded offences are committed by an offender who has consumed alcohol prior to committing the offence.
On an average day:
- 52 individuals or groups of people are either driven home or detained in police custody due to their state of intoxication
- 340 offences occur where police note alcohol is involved in the offending, including:
- 30 breach of liquor ban offences
- 100 drink drive offences
- 8,764 breath tests are undertaken
- 40 licensed premises are visited by police to monitor compliance with the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.
(Source: New Zealand Police 2010)