If you believe your teen is abusing alcohol
There are a range of signs and behaviours that may indicate your teenager is drinking excessively, including:
- Repeated health complaints like vomiting.
- Changes in sleeping patterns.
- Mood changes, especially irritability.
- Starting arguments, withdrawing from the family or breaking family rules.
- Failing exams, missing assignments, frequent school absences or discipline problems at school.
- Changes in social activities and social groups or friends.
- Coming home drunk.
- Smell of alcohol on their clothes, breath, skin,etc.
- Missing sport, school, family events, etc.
- Changes in behaviour – not being where they say they are going to be, etc.
Some of these signs can also result from other issues. If you believe your teenager is abusing alcohol, consider discussing your concerns with your GP to rule out other potential causes.
If you feel like things have moved passed this point and you need extra help, the Alcohol Drug Helpline will be of assistance – call 0800 787 797, visit their website, or free txt 8681 for confidential advice.