Information for older people about drinking alcohol
As we get older, there are things we need to know about alcohol and our health.
- Our bodies become more sensitive to alcohol’s effects as we age. - Learn more.
- Some medicines can interact with alcohol - making some stronger or weaker or their side-effects worse. - See a list of common medicines.
- Drinking too much can cause health problems and make existing health problems worse. - Find out more.
- Many people need to cut down how much alcohol they are drinking when they get older. Others need to stop drinking altogether. - Find out how much is too much.
- It is never too late to change our drinking habits. - See ideas for cutting back and where to get help.
- Family, whānau and friends can help people make changes. - Find out how to help.
Te Hiringa Hauora/Health Promotion Agency has produced a booklet about alcohol for older people and their families, friends and carers. It covers most of the information provided in this section.
Download the Alcohol and older people booklet [PDF, 783KB]